Questioning the questionnaire: Testing Validity and Reliability of Questionnaires
Questionnaire is the most commonly used instrument for data collection, especially in quantitative bio-medical research. Post-graduates in medical schools in India, generally are well aware of significance and techniques of sampling including calculation of sample size. However, development of questionnaire as an instrument for data collection has remained backstage. The article discusses the concept, scope and techniques for testing validity and reliability of questionnaires as measurement tools in biomedical research.
2. Norland EVT. Controlling Error in Evaluation Instruments. Journal of Extension 1990; 28. Available from http://www.joe.org/joe/1990summer/tt2.php (Last accessed June 22, 2022)
3. Strategic Information Consultants. What Are You Really Measuring? Reliability and Validity in Questionnaire Design. Data Analysis Australia, 2017. Available at www.daa.com.au/analytical-ideas/questionnaire-validity/ (Last accessed June 03, 2022)
4. Sangoseni O, Hellman M, Hill C. Development and validation of a questionnaire to assess the effect of online learning on behaviors, attitude and clinical practices of physical therapists in United States regarding of evidence-based practice. Internet J Allied Health Sci Pract 2013;11:1-12
5. Polit DF, Beck CT. The Content Validity Index: Are You Sure You Know What’s Being Reported? Critique and Recommendations. Res Nurs Health 2006;29: 489-97.
6. Bolarinwa OA. Principles and methods of validity and reliability testing of questionnaires used in social and health science researches. Niger Postgrad Med J 2015;22:195-201 Available at http://www.npmj.org/article.asp?issn=11171936;year=2015;volume=22;issue=4;spage=195;epage=201;aulast=Bolarinwa - ref11 (last assessed June 27, 2022)
7. Anderson JL, Sellbom M. Construct validity of the DSM-5 section III personality trait profile for borderline personality disorder. J Pers Assess 2015;97:478-86
8. Hofman CS, Lutomski JE, Boter H, Buurman BM, Craen AJ de, Donders R et al. Examining the construct and known-group validity of a composite endpoint for The Older Persons and Informal Caregivers Survey Minimum Data Set (TOPICS-MDS); A large-scale data sharing initiative. PLoS ONE 2017;12: e0173081. Available from http://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0173081 (Last accessed June 25, 2022)
9. Motl RW, Dishman RK, Trost SG, Saunders RP, Dowda M, Felton G, et al. Factorial validity and invariance of questionnaires measuring social-cognitive determinants of physical activity among adolescent girls. Prev Med 2000;31:584-94
10. Singh AS, Vik FN, Chinapaw MJ, Uijtdewilligen L, Verloigne M, Fernández-Alvira JM, et al. Test-retest reliability and construct validity of the ENERGY-child questionnaire on energy balance-related behaviours and their potential determinants: The ENERGY-project. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 2011;8:136
11. Stevenson JD Jr. Alternate form reliability and concurrent validity of the PPVT-R for referred rehabilitation agency adults. J Clin Psychol 1986;42:650-3
12. Tavakol M, Dennick R. Making sense of Cronbach′s alpha. Int J Med Educ 2011; 2:53-5
Copyright (c) 2022 Author (s). Published by Siddharth Health Research and Social Welfare Society
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.