A study on knowledge, attitude and practice regarding blood donation in an urban community, Chennai
Background: Blood transfusion plays a vital role in saving the life of those patients requiring transfusion. Assessment of awareness, attitude and practice regarding blood donation will help in creating effective health education strategy to enhance blood donation.
Objectives: To assess the knowledge, attitude, and practices regarding blood donation among individuals aged 18-60 years in an urban community of Chennai and to identify the factors associated with blood donation.
Methods: A cross-sectional study was carried out in pudupet on the months of May and June, 2017. Table of random numbers was used to recruit a total of 300 study participants. A pilot tested semi structured, questionnaire was employed as a data collection tool. Multiple logistic regression analysis was used to examine association between the independent variables and the dependent variables.
Results: Among our study subjects, 45% of them had good knowledge on blood donation and 44% of our subjects had a correct attitude towards blood donation. Only 33.3% of them had good practices towards blood donation. The most common reason quoted for not donating blood was that they were more bothered about their own health which by donating blood would lead on to some health problems.
Conclusion: The present study shows an average prevalence of knowledge and attitude among the study subjects whereas when it comes to practice it was found to be less. There should be a regularly scheduled awareness creation and voluntary blood donation campaigns organized at the community level.
2. Unnikrishnan B, Rao P, Kumar N, Ganti S, Prasad R, Amarnath A, et al. Profile of blood donors and reasons for deferral in coastal South India. Australas Med J 2011;4:379‐85.
3. Campaign essentials world blood donor day 2016. [online]. 2016 [cited 2017 Jan 22];[14 screens]. Available from: URL:http://www.who.int/campaigns/world-blood-donor-day/2016/campaign-essentials/en/
4. Glynn SA, Kleinman SH, Schreiber GB, Zuck T, Combs SM, Bethel J, Garratty G, Williams AE; Retrovirus Epidemiology Donor Study. Motivations to donate blood: demographic comparisons. Transfusion.2002 Feb;42 (2):216-25. [PubMed]
5. Singh B, Pandey RM, D’Souza N, Anushyanthan A, Krishna V, Gupta V, et al. Knowledge, Attitude and Socio-Demographic Factors Differentiating Blood Donors From Non-Donors in an Urban Slum of Delhi. Indian J Community Med 2002; 27(3):118-23.
6. Donors Guidelines. [online]. 2017[ cited 2017 Jan 22]. [2 screens].Available from: URL:http://www. Indian blood bank. com/donors‐guidelines.html.
7. Gebremeskel M, Girmatsion F, Lakew A, Zewda B, Mussie A. Intention to donate blood among the eligible population in Mekelle City, Northern Ethiopia: Using the theory of planned behavior. Am J Health Res. 2014;2 (4):158–163.
8. Yenework Acham Jemberu, Ahmed Esmael, and Kedir Y. Ahmed. Knowledge, attitude and practice towards blood donation and associated factors among adults in Debre Markos town, Northwest Ethiopia. BMC Hematol. 2016; 16(1): 23.doi: 10.1186/s12878-016-0062-8.
9. Chalachew M, Meaza T, Andualem D, Megdelawit T, Tesfalem TT, Hawult T. The level and associated factors of knowledge, attitude and practice of blood donation among health science students of Addis Ababa University. Int J Med Health Sci Res. 2014;1(10):105–118.
10. Benedict N, Usimenahon A, Alexander IN. Knowledge, Attitude and Practice of Voluntary Blood Donation among Healthcare Workers at the University of Benin Teaching Hospital, Benin City, Nigeria. J Blood Transfu. 2013;1–6. [PubMed]
11. Uma S, Arun R, Arumugam P. The Knowledge, Attitude and Practice towards Blood Donation among Voluntary Blood Donors in Chennai, India. J Clin Diagn Res. 2013;7(6):1043–1046. [PubMed]
12. Benedict N, Usimenahon A, Alexander NI, Isi A. Knowledge, attitude and practice of voluntary blood donation among physicians in a tertiary health facility of a developing country, Benin City, Nigeria. Int J Blood Transfus Immunohematol. 2012;2:4–10.
13. Sanayaima DH, Jalina L, Shantibala K, Vijaya EL. Knowledge, Attitude and Practice (KAP) of Blood Safety and Donation. Ind Med Gaz. 2012;145(1):1–5.
14. Ahmed Z, Zafar M, Khan AA, Anjum MU, Siddique MA. Knowledge, attitude and practices about blood donation among undergraduate medical students in Karachi. J Infect Dis Ther. 2014;2(2):1-4.
15. Anju D, Atul S, Rahul C, Rajendra C. Knowledge, attitude and beliefs of people in North India regarding blood donation, Lucknow, India. Simtiservizisrl. 2014;12(1):21–27. [PubMed]
16. Shenga N, Thankappan K, Kartha C, Pal R. Analyzing socio demographic factors amongst blood donors. J Emerg Trauma Shock. 2010;3(1):21–25.
17. Dubey A, Sonker A, Chaurasia R, et al. Knowledge, attitude and beliefs of people in North India regarding blood donation. Blood Transfusion 2014;12(Suppl1):21-7. [PubMed]
18. Salaudeen AG, Musa OI, Awoyemi AO, Bolarinwa AO, Adegboye AO, Samuel SO. Community survey on blood donation practices in a northern state of Nigeria. J Prev Med Hyg. 2011;52:21–5. [PubMed]
19. Sabu KM, Remya A, Binu VS, Vivek R. Knowledge, Attitude and Practice on Blood Donation among Health Science Students in a University campus, South India. Online J Health Allied Scs. 2011;10(2):1–3.
20. S. Manikandan, R. Srikumar, P. N. Ruvanthika. A Study on Knowledge, Attitude and Practice on Blood Donation among Health Professional Students in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, South India. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications. 2013. Vol 3(3):1-4.
21. JamunaraniSrirangaramasamy, C. P. Luck, Madasamy Balamurugan, Karthick Subash Selvaraju, RamyaMayakrishnan. A study on the knowledge, attitude, and practices regarding voluntary non-remunerated donation of blood among secondary school teachers in Tamilnadu. J. Evolution Med. Dent. Sci. 2017. Vol 6(10): 785-90.
22. Mullah F. Study of knowledge, perceptions and practices related to blood donation among the healthcare support staff of a tertiary care hospital in Gujarat, India. Online journal of Health and Allied Sciences 2013 Mar;12(1):1-4.
23. Mousavi F, Tavabi AA, Golestan B, Ammar-Saeedi E, Kashani H, Tabatabaei R, Iran-Pour E. Knowledge, attitude and practicetowardsblood donation in Iranianpopulation. Transfus Med. 2011 Oct;21(5):308-17. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3148.2011.01080.x.Epub 2011 Jun 22.
Copyright (c) 2018 Author (s). Published by Siddharth Health Research and Social Welfare Society
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.